Ice cream is a favorite summertime treat for people of all ages. It is impossible to imagine a summer without delicious ice cream. People have been making ice cream long before the invention of electricity so there’s no reason you can’t make ice cream at home without an ice cream machine. Homemade ice cream is a special dessert. It is delicious, creamy and can be customized with any flavor. An ice cream machine costs a lot of money, besides it takes up space in small kitchens.
So before buying one, many people will wonder whether they really need an ice cream maker to make homemade ice cream The short answer is no, as there are a lot of ways making homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker. There is no need to buy expensive ice cream makers. You can save money and make homemade ice cream whenever you want simply by using your refrigerator freezer.
How to make ice cream at home?
Just make sure you have these ingredients at hand;
- Sugar – 240 gr.
- Whole milk 710 ml
- Cream (30-36%) 240 ml
- 6 Yolks
- Vanilla essence 1 tsp.
Cook the mixture of egg, sugar and milk with low heat and slowly. At first, separate the yolks from the eggs and add sugar. Whisk them properly until the mixture becomes a pale lemon-yellow color. Do not forget to stir and scrape the bottom and sides of the pot to cook the mixture evenly and to save the bottom from scorching until thickened enough.
To measure the accurate thickness, you may check if it coats the back of a spoon. For getting different flavors, you may add anything like mint, cinnamon, cacao nibs or coffee beans, etc. into the milk along with vanilla. Cook the mixture: Place the saucepan on the stove and cook them over low heat. Slowly stir the mixture, scrape the bottom and sides of the pot constantly. Cook until the base has thickened and can make coat on the back of the spatula.
Strain the ice cream base into the bowl which will remove the vanilla pod. Besides, it will also help to remove the curdled egg (if have any). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until lightly thickened. Remove from heat. To freeze the thickened Ice cream, transfer it to a freezer container. Use a piece of wax paper against the surface of the ice cream. It will help to prevent forming the ice crystals until solid for 4 hours. Freeze the ice cream at least for 4 hours before serving stirring every 40 minutes.
Here is another recipe :
Ice cream “Crème Brullee”
To make such ice cream, you will need these ingredients:
- cream (fat content of 33%) – 500 ml;
- milk -150 ml;
- egg yolk – 2 pieces;
- wheat flour (the highest grade) – 20 g;
- Condensed milk (boiled) – 60 ml.
- Take the raw yolks, add 3 tbsp. spoon the cream and whisk carefully.
- In the resulting mass, pour the flour and mix everything.
- Milk warm, but do not bring to a boil, and then pour a thin trickle into the mixture with yolks and whisk well.
- Put the resulting mass in a water bath, wait until it thickens, then cool it.
- Cream pour into a container and whip with a mixer, you need them to turn out thick, but not turned into butter.
- To them add condensed milk and eggs, and then mix everything thoroughly.
- Spread the ice cream on the molds, and then leave in the freezer for 1-1.5 hours.