This simple veggie side dish is a staple in our house because it’s really quick to throw together and super tasty.
When you roast slender stems of broccolini, they become tender, slightly crispy, and even a touch sweet!
Broccolini is a cross between regular broccoli and gai-lan, a Chinese green that is also in the brassica family. It’s loaded with vitamins and minerals, and great for rounding out a healthy meal.
The creamy mustard dressing makes the dish feel special. It’s also a fabulous dipping sauce for any other vegetables that take your fancy.
Roasted Broccolini with Creamy Mustard Sauce Recipe
Look for broccolini near the broccoli and other leafy green vegetables in the produce section of your grocery store. Substitute regular broccoli if you can’t find broccolini.
You will likely have leftover sauce. Store for up to a week and serve over any other roasted vegetables, or use as a dipping sauce.
For the sauce (makes 1 1/4 cups):
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (or regular salt)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the broccolini:
- 1 pound (460g) broccolini
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup sliced raw almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus more to taste
1 Soak the cashews for the sauce: Soak the cashews for 2 hours in a bowl covered with filtered water, then drain. Alternatively, quick-soak the cashews by covering them with boiled water and soaking for 10 minutes, then draining.
2 Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3 Roast the broccolini: Toss the broccolini with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender and slightly crispy.
4 While the broccolini is roasting, make the dressing. Throw the soaked and drained cashews, water, lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper flakes into your blender. Blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds until smooth and creamy.
5 Prepare the garlic and almonds: In a small pan over medium-low heat, warm the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook the garlic for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant and just starting to brown.
Add the almonds, and stir for about 1 minute, or until just warmed. Stir in the lemon juice and zest. Remove the pan from heat.
6 Top the broccolini and serve: Remove the roasted broccolini from the oven and transfer to a platter. Sprinkle the almond mixture over the top of the broccolini, and season with additional lemon juice, zest, salt, and pepper to taste.
Drizzle with a small amount of the sauce, and pass the remaining sauce at the table. Serve warm.